Let me just say, I do believe it's going to be a most awesome year. I fully realize that we are navigating challenging times. I fully understand that opinions and emotions are very fluid and can change daily. All this makes these times unprecedented. With that said, I do want all stakeholders to be current as to where we presently stand regarding our re-entry plan. As you read this plan, please note the following key points:
- This plan has been constructed with many voices weighing in. We have surveyed our staff and parents; we have taken direction from the Navajo Nation and the State of Utah; we have met directly with the local health department, and we have met with the SJEA.
- This plan is fluid and as present conditions change and additional directives are released to us by local health departments, Navajo Nation authorities, or State authorities, this plan will be modified as appropriate.
- This plan is built on the principle of parent choice. Parents will choose to place their child in one of three possible options.
- The plan will outline all the protocols and precautions being taken at schools to ensure students and staff are safe. (Note: these protocols are still being finalized, They will be released shortly.) These protocols will focus on hygiene etiquette, social distancing where possible, staff and students wearing masks when social distancing is not possible, increasing sanitizing efforts, and having students and staff stay home when sick.
- The plan is crafted in a way that there is still much detail work that must be completed at the local campus level by admin and staff data will help guide this work at the campus level.
Please take the time to review the plan. I hope you feel the appreciation and respect that I share for you as a member of team San Juan. We just experienced probably the most challenging educational grading term in the past 100 years. We managed to survive by staying positive and working collaboratively together. I wish I could say things were back to normal, but we all know it's not. I challenge all to continue to stay positive; see the good in people and in the moment; and be a part of the solution as we move forward. We are so fortunate to have such dedicated stakeholders. You are greatly valued.